Saturday, September 17, 2011

Losing my blogging virginity

Congratulations to me! I have officially taken the plunge and joined the world of blogging. Although, I have to admit .. if it wasn't for this first assignment, it may have never happened for me. Don't get me wrong, I love blogs. As you may have read from my profile, reading blogs is a true passion of mine. Every time I read someone's review of a hotel, make up product or online deal, I feel a little guilty. I almost feel like I'm stealing. How can there be all this information online for free?

For me, the biggest road block is thinking "why would anyone want to hear about my life or what I am doing?" As I start to overcome this hurdle, I am beginning to understand that social media is about interaction and sharing of information. Even if the majority of the people on the online community don't care about what I have to say, and only 10 people do, I will have made a small (ok .. tiny) difference.

In my day job as a marketing professional for a international law firm, social media is at the top of everyone's mind. Since joining the firm a year ago, I have questioned why such a large firm as ours is still trailing behind.
Many of our competitors have already jumped on the bandwagon and created blogs, Twitters and LinkedIn pages. At many of our meetings, I have tried convincing the partners that this is truly an important aspect of the business and we really need to get in the social media space. I think the fear for them, as we have leant in class is the possibility of 'bad' social media. Once the comments and press are out there online, you can never take it back. I guess from a professional stand point, that can be scary.

Therefore, through this class, I hope to learn ways on creating a strategy that will finally convince them ob the urgency of social media. It is time to face reality.


No comments:

Post a Comment